Skip to primary navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

History

Just over a century ago, line 128 between Ciney and Yvoir was brought into service.

Considered to be one of the most beautiful railway sections in Belgium due to its location in the Bocq valley and the presence of numerous engineering structures (viaducts, tunnels, bridges), this line is currently being brought back into service by the non-profit organisation Patrimoine Ferroviaire et Tourisme.

GENESIS OF THE LINE

In 1888, a project was drawn up. Two years later, a concession was granted to the Société Nationale de Chemins de Fer Vicinaux for the construction of a standard gauge line between the stations of Ciney, reached on 1 May 1858 by the Grande Compagnie du Luxembourg, and Yvoir, linked to Namur by the Compagnie du Nord Belge in 1862. However, it was the Belgian State Railways that carried out the work: in 1894, the route of the section was established and on 15 March 1896, the tender was announced. Line 128 was put into service in four phases: the Ciney-Spontin section on 5 May 1898, the Spontin-Dorinne section on 1 May 1902, Dorinne-Evrehailles on 1 May 1903 and Evrehailles-Yvoir on 1 June 1907.

Click on the names of a station names to view pictures from old times

Skip to toolbar